Friday, September 28, 2012

Letter From a Sponsored Child


*I am a Compassion blogger! This will be my fourth and last post for Compassion Blog Month. Then I will be given a topic to write about approximately once every month. This week's writing challenge is to write a letter as if you were a sponsored child. God did tell us to become like little children.
 
Dear Friend,
 
Hi! I'm Grace from Ethiopia. I'm 9. I live with my mama, 2 brothers, and 1 sister. I love my family so much. I am the oldest and hold many responsibilities to care for my younger brothers and sister. My mama is a street vendor, so I watch my brothers and sister all day. I help with cooking when we have food and carrying water. My favorite food is injera and doro wat. 
 
I love to play soccer with my friends. I love to sing and attend church. My favorite bible story is any about little children!
 
Let me tell you about where I live. I have a home made of mud walls, a tin roof, and a dirt floor. I share a bed with my mama, brothers, and sister. My most prized possession is a jump rope that an American visitor brought me. Along with my pretty dress and shoes. My first pair of shoes. I am so thankful to God. He is so good to me!
 
My life changed when I got sponsored. I was waiting for months and months. I was worried I would never get sponsored--that I wasn't pretty enough, or wasn't a good girl. The most beautiful woman sponsored me. She writes me letters! She sends me paper dolls, stickers, and pictures. She tells me she loves me and that she is proud of how I am doing in school. She makes me happy. 
 
My sponsor makes me feel important. I wish for my friends to all get sponsors too, so they can feel important and loved. I am sad for them. They can't go to school until they are sponsored. Some of them are sick. Will you sponsor one of my friends? Please?
 
Because of my sponsor, I can now go to school and learn all kinds of things. There are books at school! I hope to be a teacher. I just know that one day, I want to grow up to be a sponsor!
 
Love,
 
Grace
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Colin and Jess. This is Tobi Wright you posted on my blog earlier today. I'm cracking up because I only posted a title and then went off to do something else. Then I saw your sweet comment. :) Excited for you to be adopting from Ethiopia too. I hope to hear more about your process. Check out my blog again sometime soon. Have a great weekend! God bless!

    ReplyDelete