Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mother Teresa

Source: Wikipedia
 
 
Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta.
Born August 26, 2010.
Joined Heaven September 5, 1997.

She said, "By blood, I am Albanian. By citizenship, an Indian. By faith, I am a Catholic nun. As to my calling, I belong to the world. As to my heart, I belong entirely to the Heart of Jesus."

She founded the Missionaries of Charity, in which members must vow to give:

"Wholehearted and Free service to the poorest of the poor: the hungry, the naked, the homeless, the crippled, the blind, the lepers, all those people who feel unwanted, unloved, uncared for throughout society, people that have become a burden to the society and are shunned by everyone."

For over 45 years, she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying. She received the 1979 Nobel Peace Prize. She refused the ceremonial banquet and asked that the $192,000 fund be given to the poor in India.

Mother Teresa stated that earthly rewards were important only if they helped her help the world's needy. When Mother Teresa received the Nobel Peace Prize, she was asked, "What can we do to promote world peace?" She answered "Go home and love your family." In her Nobel Lecture, she said: "Around the world, not only in the poor countries, but I found the poverty of the West so much more difficult to remove. When I pick up a person from the street, hungry, I give him a plate of rice, a piece of bread, I have satisfied. I have removed that hunger. But a person that is shut out, that feels unwanted, unloved, terrified, the person that has been thrown out from society—that poverty is so hurtable, and I find that very difficult."

Other quotes I have found intriguing and inspiring:

I have found the paradox that if I love until it hurts, then there is no more hurt, but only more love. -Mother Teresa

If you can’t feed a hundred people, feed just one. ~Mother Teresa

It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish. ~Mother Teresa

When a poor person dies of hunger it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her. It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed. ~Mother Teresa
How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~Mother Teresa

1 comment:

  1. LOVE THIS POST!!!
    I especially like the term "joined heaven." Yes! This sums it up perfectly.
    Mother Teresa is an inspiration. She has some beautiful quotes.

    ReplyDelete