This recipe was found on www.food.com. I very slightly adapted it. These are so delicious! I made the filling while Colin fried them up for us. We enjoyed them alongside a salad.
- 48 wonton wrappers
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef OR lamb
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander, chopped OR ground coriander, to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- Combine all filling ingredients in heavy sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and stir to keep smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium and let mixture simmer uncovered.
- Correct flavor for spices and salt balance.
- As water simmers away, stir often to prevent mixture from sticking, especially during final stages.
- Cook until all liquid evaporates.
- If ground meat has a lot of fat, drain off at this point.
- Let mixture cool slightly before stuffing.
- Fill won ton wrappers with 1 to 2 tsp of filling. Moisten and press the edges together in a triangle shape.
- Fry the Sambossas, several at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Place the golden brown Sambossas on paper towel to rid of excess oil. Serve hot or cold with or without chutney.