This is a continuation of a multiple-post-series based strictly on my personal research, especially through the book Making Babies. See here for #1: The Basics and here for #3: Destressing.
Lifestyles of the Naturally Fertile
- Stay in your healthy weight range. If overweight, sometimes just losing 10% can boost fertility. See calculator.
- Exercise 30+ minutes most days of the week, but stay away from your peak exercise level.
- Phase 1 (menstruation): avoid strenuous exercise; try yoga, tai chi, or quigong
- Phase 2 (pre-ovulation): spend 20-30 minutes/day on aerobic exercise
- Phase 3 (ovulation): exercise gently; try swimming, walking, yoga, or qi gong
- Phase 4 (potential implantation): moderate exercise; try walking, cycling, swimming, yoga, or qigong
- Have a healthy night's sleep- aim for 8 hours.
- Avoid toxins (in pesticides, lead, mercury, chlorine, cadmium, cigarette smoke, etc.).
- Do not smoke.
- Limit caffeine to 90 mg maximum (1C coffee, 2C black tea, 3C green tea).
- Caffeine can decrease the flow of blood to the uterus, which can interfere with implantation.
- It can increase the risk of clotting and miscarriage.
- It can increase stress and anxiety levels.
- It is acidic and can make the body and cervical mucus acidic.
- Avoid alcohol--limit completely or stick to one glass of wine or beer.
- Be mindful of the effects of medication you are on.
- Don't use recreational drugs.
- Other: Avoid hot baths, scented tampons, and douches.