Sunday, July 22, 2012

Comfortable More Than Christ


I read a post by Ann Voskamp that touched my heart deeply. In the post, she reflected on her trip to Haiti, and the people and experiences she encountered while there. Convictions and reflections.

Below is a small excerpt, but to read all her thoughts, please visit the post at: A Holy Experience.

Ann writes:

How can you lie still when babies are drowning in a sea of poverty?
How can you not scream?
I tell Mama that I think I’m angry.
I’m angry at sin that smothers children and selfishness that steals human dignity and apathy that infects the hearts of the comfortable. And I pound my own chest.
I’m angry at me.
Angry at how much I want comfortable more than I want Christ.

Faith cannot have a non-response.
We’re either responding with indifference or with intercession, either with apathy or aid.
You can’t look into the face of the poor and just plead the fifth amendment.

Your life is always your answer.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And inspiring! I think I know what you are planning ... but I'm holding off on saying ...
    We had a speaker last week at our church who went to Haiti and worked with Fr. Tom Hagen. She was VERY inspirational! DH and I were both moved. Like Ann says ... "Faith cannot have a non-response.
    We’re either responding with indifference or with intercession, either with apathy or aid." Praying for the souls in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that is a great and inspiring quote! I really love Ann's writing. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete